Complete List of Published Work in MyBibliography:
Peer reviewed publications in print or other media
(a) Original Research Publications
- 1. Miller J, M Blaszkiewicz, C. Beaton, CP Johnson, S Waible, A Dubois, A Klemmer, M Kiebish, KL Townsend*. A peroxidized omega-3-enriched polyunsaturated diet leads to adipose and metabolic dysfunction in male mice. (2018) Under submission. *Corresponding Author
- Blaszkiewicz M, AL Dubois, JL Miller, JW Willows, LL Lyons, K Dibello, CP Johnson, C Beaton, KL Townsend*. Neuropathy and neural plasticity in the subcutaneous white adipose depot. (2018) Under resubmission, internal transfer from Nature Medicine to Nature Communications. *Corresponding Author
- Townsend KL*, Madden C, Blaszkiewicz M, McDougall LM, Tupone D, Lynes DM, Yu P, Morrison S,Tseng YH*. Re-Establishment of energy balance in a male mouse model with POMC neuron deletion of BMPR1A. (2017) Endocrinology; accepted and in Press. *Co-Corresponding Author.
- Asalone K. and KL Townsend*. The importance of social sciences in biomedical education and doctor-patient interactions. (2017) Under review at Penn Bioethics Journal. *Corresponding Author
- AL Waldron, Schroder PA, AD Pellegrini, JK Bolduc, JL Miller, KL Bourgon, AL Dubois, M Blaszkiewicz, KL Townsend, S Rieger. Reactive oxygen species-dependent MMP-13 activity underlies glucose-induced neurotoxicity. (2017) Accepted and in press, Journal of Diabetes and Its Complications.
- An D, Townsend KL, Lee MY, Getchell KM, Tseng YH, Hirshman MF, and Goodyear LJ. Akt2 Deficient Mice Have Altered Energy Metabolism and Mitochondrial Function in Brown Adipose Tissue. Under re-submission.
- Williams J, Rosner BA, Townsend KL*, Effects of Intermittent Fasting on Body Weight and Dyslipidemia: A Meta-Analysis of Studies Conducted Through 2013. Under re-submission. *Corresponding Author.
- Zhang H, Guan M, Huang TL., Townsend KL, An D, Schulz T, Winnay J, Mori M, Goodyear LJ, Tsang J, Tseng YH. MicroRNA Determines Brown Fat Differentiation and Thermogenic Function. (2015) EMBO reports. 16(10):1378-9.
- Xue R, Lynes MD, Dreyfuss J, Shamsi F, Schulz TJ, Zhang H, Huang TL, Townsend KL, Li Y, Takahashi H, Weiner LS, White AP, Lynes MS, Rubin LL, Goodyear LJ, Cypess AM, Tseng Y-H. Clonal Analysis and Gene Profiling Identify Genetic Biomarkers of the Thermogenic Potential of Human Brown and White Preadipocytes. (2015) Nature Medicine 21(7), 760-8. PMID: 26076036
- Stanford KI, Middelbeek RJW, Townsend KL, Lee M-Y, Takahashi H, So Kawai, Hitchcox KM, Markan KR, Hellbach K, Hirshman MF, Tseng Y-H, Goodyear LJ. A Novel Role for Subcutaneous Adipose Tissue in Exercise-Induced Improvements in Glucose Homeostasis. Diabetes. 64(6), 2002-14. PMID 25605808. 14
- Schulz TJ, Huang P, Huang TL, McDougall LE, Townsend KL, Cypess AM, Mishina Y, Gussini E, Y.-H.Tseng. Impaired Development of Constitutive Brown Adipocytes Due to Loss of BMP Signaling Induces Compensatory Browning of White Adipose Tissue. (2013) Nature Mar 21; 495(7441): 379-83. PMID: 23485971
- Stanford KI, Middelbeek RJW, Townsend KL, An D, Hitchcox KM, Markan KR, Nakano K, Nygaard EB, Jung DY, Lee Y, Kim JK, Hirshman MF, Tseng YH, and Goodyear LJ. Brown Adipose Tissue Regulates Glucose Homeostasis and Insulin Sensitivity. (2013) J Clin Invest. Jan 2; 123(1):215-23. PMID: 23221344
- Liew CW, Boucher J, Cheong JK, Vernochet C, Koh HJ, Mallol C, Townsend K, Langin D, Kawamori D, Hu J, Tseng Y-H, Hellerstein MK, Farmer SR, Goodyear L, Doria A, Bluher M, Hsu SIH, Kulkarni RN. Ablation of TRIP-Br2, a novel regulator of fat lipolysis, thermogenesis and oxidative metabolism, prevents diet-induced obesity and insulin resistance. (2013) Nat Med. Feb;19(2):217-26. PMID: 23291629
- Townsend KL, An D, Lynes MD, Huang TL, Goodyear LJ, and Tseng YH. IncreasedMitochondrial Activity in BMP7-treated Brown Adipocytes, Due to Increased CPT1- and CD36- mediated Fatty Acid Uptake. (2012) Antioxidants & Redox Signaling. 19(3), 243-57. PMID: 22938691
- Townsend KL*, Suzuki R*, Huang TL, Jing E, Schulz T, Lee K, Taniguchi CM, Espinoza DO, McDougall LE, He TC, Kokkotou E, and Tseng YH. Bone Morphogenetic Protein 7 (BMP7) Reverses Obesity and Regulates Appetite Through a Central mTOR Pathway. (2012). FASEB J, 26(5): 2187-96. (* co-first authors) PMCID: PMC3336788
- Schulz TJ, Huang TL, Tran TT, Zhang H, Townsend KL, Shadrach JL, Cerletti M, McDougall L, Giorgadze N, Tchkonia T, Schrier D, Falb D, Kirkland JL, Wagers AJ, and Tseng YH. Identification of Inducible Brown Adipocyte Progenitors Residing in Skeletal Muscle and White Fat. (2011). Proc Natl Acad Sci U.S.A., 108(1): 143-8. PMCID: PMC3017184
- Townsend KL, Kunz TH, and Widmaier EP. Changes in body mass, serum leptin, and mRNA levels of leptin receptor isoforms during the premigratory period in Myotis lucifugus. (2008) J Comp Physiol [B]. 178(2): 217-23. PMID: 17962952
- Townsend KL, Lorenzi MM, and Widmaier EP. High-fat diet-induced changes in body mass and hypothalamic gene expression in wild-type and leptin-deficient mice. (2008) Endocrine, 33(2):176-88. PMID: 18483882
- Schulz LC, Townsend KL, Kunz TH, and Widmaier EP. Inhibition of Myotis lucifugus trophoblast invasiveness in vitro by immunoneutralization of leptin (2007) General and Comp Endo, 150(1): 59-65. PMID: 16938297
- Zhao J, Townsend KL, Schulz LC, Kunz TH, Li C, and Widmaier EP. Leptin receptor expression increases in placenta, but not hypothalamus, during gestation in Mus musculus and Myotis lucifigus. (2004) Placenta, 25: (8-9). PMID: 15450389
(b) Reviews, Chapters, Lay press, Other Media
- Townsend KL and M Blaszkiewicz. Visualizing, Quantifying and Investigating Adipose Tissue Nerves. (Invited Comment article for Nature Reviews Endocrinology; under submission April 2018)
- Townsend KL, T Morin and C Labonte. (2018). Bone Morphogenetic Proteins (BMPs) as a bi-directional switch between osteogenesis and adipogenesis. Endocrine Reviews, under submission April 2018.
- Townsend KL (2016). The science of appetite. Zest, Summer 2016 issue.
- Blaszkiewicz M, Townsend KL. (2016) Adipose Tissue and Energy Expenditure: Central and Peripheral Neural Activation Pathways. Current Obesity Reports Jun;5(2):241-50.
- Townsend KL (2015). Brain eating: The science behind taste, hunger, and why we either love or hate certain foods. Zest, Summer 2015 issue.
- Townsend KL and YH Tseng. (2015). Of Mice and Men: Novel Insights Regarding Constitutive and Recuitable Brown Adipocytes. Invited Review for International Journal of Obesity Supplements 5. S15-20.
- Townsend KL and YH Tseng. (2014). Brown Fat Fuel Utilization and Thermogenesis. Invited Review for Trends in Endocrinology and Metabolism 25(4):168-177. *chosen by editorial board as Top 10 Best Articles of 2014 in TEM. * ranked as Science Direct top 25 most downloaded articles for Oct-Dec 2014.
- Townsend KL and YH Tseng. (2012). Brown Adipose Tissue: Recent Insights into Development, Metabolic Function, and Therapeutic Potential. Invited Review for inaugural issue of the new journal Adipocyte, 2012 Jan 1(1) 13-24.