Complete List of Published Work in MyBibliography:
Peer reviewed publications in print or other media
|(a) Original Research Publications
1. Blaszkiewicz M, JW Willows, AL Dubois, S Waible, CP Johnson, K Dibello, LL Lyons, WP Breeding, KB Tilbury, M Michael, B Harrison, KL Townsend*. Neuropathy and neural plasticity in the subcutaneous white adipose depot. (Nov 2018 preprint; currently under resubmission at PLOS One) bioRxiv doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1101/480095 *Corresponding Author
2. Miller J#, M Blaszkiewicz#, C. Beaton, CP Johnson, S Waible, A Dubois, A Klemmer, M Kiebish, KL Townsend*. A peroxidized omega-3-enriched polyunsaturated diet leads to adipose and metabolic dysfunction. (2019) J Nutr Biochem. (64): 50-60. *Corresponding Author; # Equal contributing first authors
3. Townsend KL*, Madden C, Blaszkiewicz M, McDougall LM, Tupone D, Lynes DM, Yu P, Morrison S,Tseng YH*. Re-Establishment of energy balance in a male mouse model with POMC neuron deletion of BMPR1A. (2017) Endocrinology 158(12): 4233-4245. *Co-Corresponding Author.
4. Asalone K. and KL Townsend*. The importance of social sciences in biomedical education and doctor-patient interactions. (2017) Accepted with revisions at Journal of Young Investigators. *Corresponding Author
5. AL Waldron, Schroder PA, KL Bourgon, JK Bolduc, JL Miller, AD Pellegrini, AL Dubois, M Blaszkiewicz, KL Townsend, S Rieger. Oxidative stress-dependent MMP-13 activity underlies glucose neurotoxicity. (2017) J Diabetes Complications, 32(3):249-257.
6. An D, Townsend KL, Lee MY, Getchell KM, Tseng YH, Hirshman MF, and Goodyear LJ. Akt2 Deficient Mice Have Altered Energy Metabolism and Mitochondrial Function in Brown Adipose Tissue. Under re-submission.
7. Williams J, Rosner BA, Townsend KL*, Effects of Intermittent Fasting on Body Weight and Dyslipidemia: A Meta-Analysis of Studies Conducted Through 2013. Under re-submission. *Corresponding Author.
8. Zhang H, Guan M, Huang TL., Townsend KL, An D, Schulz T, Winnay J, Mori M, Goodyear LJ, Tsang J, Tseng YH. MicroRNA Determines Brown Fat Differentiation and Thermogenic Function. (2015) EMBO reports. 16(10):1378-9.
9. Xue R, Lynes MD, Dreyfuss J, Shamsi F, Schulz TJ, Zhang H, Huang TL, Townsend KL, Li Y, Takahashi H, Weiner LS, White AP, Lynes MS, Rubin LL, Goodyear LJ, Cypess AM, Tseng Y-H. Clonal Analysis and Gene Profiling Identify Genetic Biomarkers of the Thermogenic Potential of Human Brown and White Preadipocytes. (2015) Nature Medicine 21(7), 760-8. PMID: 26076036
10. Stanford KI, Middelbeek RJW, Townsend KL, Lee M-Y, Takahashi H, So Kawai, Hitchcox KM, Markan KR, Hellbach K, Hirshman MF, Tseng Y-H, Goodyear LJ. A Novel Role for Subcutaneous Adipose Tissue in Exercise-Induced Improvements in Glucose Homeostasis. Diabetes. 64(6), 2002-14. PMID 25605808.
11. Schulz TJ, Huang P, Huang TL, McDougall LE, Townsend KL, Cypess AM, Mishina Y, Gussini E, Y.-H.Tseng. Impaired Development of Constitutive Brown Adipocytes Due to Loss of BMP Signaling Induces Compensatory Browning of White Adipose Tissue. (2013) Nature Mar 21; 495(7441): 379-83. PMID: 23485971
12. Stanford KI, Middelbeek RJW, Townsend KL, An D, Hitchcox KM, Markan KR, Nakano K, Nygaard EB, Jung DY, Lee Y, Kim JK, Hirshman MF, Tseng YH, and Goodyear LJ. Brown Adipose Tissue Regulates Glucose Homeostasis and Insulin Sensitivity. (2013) J Clin Invest. Jan 2; 123(1):215-23. PMID: 23221344
13. Liew CW, Boucher J, Cheong JK, Vernochet C, Koh HJ, Mallol C, Townsend K, Langin D, Kawamori D, Hu J, Tseng Y-H, Hellerstein MK, Farmer SR, Goodyear L, Doria A, Bluher M, Hsu SIH, Kulkarni RN. Ablation of TRIP-Br2, a novel regulator of fat lipolysis, thermogenesis and oxidative metabolism, prevents diet-induced obesity and insulin resistance. (2013) Nat Med. Feb;19(2):217-26. PMID: 23291629
14. Townsend KL, An D, Lynes MD, Huang TL, Goodyear LJ, and Tseng YH. Increased Mitochondrial Activity in BMP7-treated Brown Adipocytes, Due to Increased CPT1- and CD36-mediated Fatty Acid Uptake. (2012) Antioxidants & Redox Signaling. 19(3), 243-57. PMID: 22938691
15. Townsend KL*, Suzuki R*, Huang TL, Jing E, Schulz T, Lee K, Taniguchi CM, Espinoza DO, McDougall LE, He TC, Kokkotou E, and Tseng YH. Bone Morphogenetic Protein 7 (BMP7) Reverses Obesity and Regulates Appetite Through a Central mTOR Pathway. (2012). FASEB J, 26(5): 2187-96. (* co-first authors) PMCID: PMC3336788
16. Schulz TJ, Huang TL, Tran TT, Zhang H, Townsend KL, Shadrach JL, Cerletti M, McDougall L, Giorgadze N, Tchkonia T, Schrier D, Falb D, Kirkland JL, Wagers AJ, and Tseng YH. Identification of Inducible Brown Adipocyte Progenitors Residing in Skeletal Muscle and White Fat. (2011). Proc Natl Acad Sci U.S.A., 108(1): 143-8. PMCID: PMC3017184
17. Townsend KL, Kunz TH, and Widmaier EP. Changes in body mass, serum leptin, and mRNA levels of leptin receptor isoforms during the premigratory period in Myotis lucifugus. (2008) J Comp Physiol [B]. 178(2): 217-23. PMID: 17962952
18. Townsend KL, Lorenzi MM, and Widmaier EP. High-fat diet-induced changes in body mass and hypothalamic gene expression in wild-type and leptin-deficient mice. (2008) Endocrine, 33(2):176-88. PMID: 18483882
19. Schulz LC, Townsend KL, Kunz TH, and Widmaier EP. Inhibition of Myotis lucifugus trophoblast invasiveness in vitro by immunoneutralization of leptin. (2007) General and Comp Endo, 150(1): 59-65. PMID: 16938297
20. Zhao J, Townsend KL, Schulz LC, Kunz TH, Li C, and Widmaier EP. Leptin receptor expression increases in placenta, but not hypothalamus, during gestation in Mus musculus and Myotis lucifigus. (2004) Placenta, 25: (8-9). PMID: 15450389
(b) Original Research Publications (in preparation)
1. Johnson CP, M Blaszkiewicz, AL Dubois, J Willows, S Rieger, KL Townsend*. MMP-13 inhibition reverses diabetic neuropathy in skin and underlying adipose. In Preparation. *Corresponding Author
2. Willows JW, M Blaszkiewicz, A Lamore, S Borer, A Dubois, A Khalil, KL Townsend*.. Visualization and Analysis of Adipose Tissue Innervation. In Preparation. *Corresponding Author
3. Jensen GS, A Beaulieu, CD Curtis, M Blaszkiewicz, CW Greco, CJ Brennan, MD Lynes, D Breault, KL Townsend*. Mouse telomerase reverse transcriptase (mTERT) reveals a new niche of quiescent adult neural stem cells in the murine choroid plexus. In Preparation. *Corresponding Author
4. Blaszkiewicz M, E Wood, S Koizar, J Willows, R Anderson, M Rios, YH Tseng, J Godwin, KL Townsend*. Brain derived neurotrophic factor from adipose-resident immune cells is required for survival of adipose tissue neurons. In Preparation. *Corresponding Author
5. Townsend KL#, Colburn J, Pritchard E, Lynes MD, Blaszkiewicz M, Kwon YM, Kaplan DL, Tseng YH#. Silk-mediated delivery of BMP7 to white adipose tissue promotes browning and increases energy expenditure. In Preparation. # Co-corresponding authors.
6. Luiz Leiria*, Magdalena Blaszkiewicz*, Wenjie Chen, Sarah Lessard, TianLian Huang, Ruidan Xue, Laurie Goodyear, Herb Lin, Jodie Babitt, Kristy Townsend#, Yu-Hua Tseng#. Novel role for Hemojuvelin in the regulation of brown adipogenesis. *Equal first-author contribution; In Preparation. # Co-corresponding authors.
(c) Reviews, Chapters, Commentaries, Lay press, Other Media
1. Townsend KL. Visualizing, Quantifying and Investigating Adipose Tissue Nerves. (Invited Comment article for Nature Reviews Endocrinology; under submission)
2. N. Leon-Palmer and KL Townsend*. Bone Morphogenetic Proteins (BMPs) in the regulation of energy balance. Invited review for Metabolism, In preparation. *Corresponding Author
3. Blaszkiewicz M, C Johnson, J Willows, KL Townsend*. The Importance of Peripheral Nerves in Adipose Tissue for the Regulation of Energy Balance. (2019) (invited review article for “New Players in Adipocyte Biology” special issue of Biology 2019, 8(1), 10; https://doi.org/10.3390/biology8010010 *Corresponding Author
4. Townsend KL (2016). The science of appetite. Zest, Summer 2016 issue.
5. Blaszkiewicz M, KL Townsend*. (2016) Adipose Tissue and Energy Expenditure: Central and Peripheral Neural Activation Pathways. Current Obesity Reports Jun;5(2):241-50. *Corresponding Author
6. Townsend KL (2015). Brain eating: The science behind taste, hunger, and why we either love or hate certain foods. Zest, Summer 2015 issue.
7. Townsend KL and YH Tseng. (2015). Of Mice and Men: Novel Insights Regarding Constitutive and Recuitable Brown Adipocytes. Invited Review for International Journal of Obesity Supplements 5. S15-20.
8. Townsend KL and YH Tseng. (2014). Brown Fat Fuel Utilization and Thermogenesis. Invited Review for Trends in Endocrinology and Metabolism 25(4):168-177. *chosen by editorial board as Top 10 Best Articles of 2014 in TEM. * ranked as Science Direct top 25 most downloaded articles for Oct-Dec 2014.
9. Townsend KL and YH Tseng. (2012). Brown Adipose Tissue: Recent Insights into Development, Metabolic Function, and Therapeutic Potential. Invited Review for inaugural issue of the new journal Adipocyte, 2012 Jan 1(1) 13-24.